Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Barque in the Harbor

… is just one of the songs I’ve been on a mild addiction mode with over the last few days. If you haven’t heard of it (and given that I can’t even find it on YouTube, that’s probably likely), it’s a really really good song from folk rock band Great Big Sea, from their “Sea of No Cares” album.

 

 

I only personally know a few people who have heard of this band aside from myself, but their music (almost) always puts me in a happy place, regardless of mood before listening. “Barque in the Harbor” is about a sailor who has a liaison with a young woman from Spain before leaving that country (presumably with a military outfit of some type), and like most of this band’s songs, is well-written and well-performed.

 

They’ve easily got a half-dozen studio albums, and I love all of the songs I’ve heard, even though it was a bitch to find some of their albums. Songs like “How Did We Get From Saying I Love You (To I’ll See You Around Someday)” strikes a chord with anyone who has had love go sour, and then there are songs that are just fun like “Scolding Wife”. You can guess the topic on that one, it’s kinda straightforward.

 

Today is a happy day, at least so far. I doubt I’ll be getting any sleep before work tonight, but I’m okay with that. I’ve got laundry to do, and it should be an overall productive day, I think.

 

Oh, little fun fact for those of you nerdy enough (like me) to care… as you probably know, I’m a huge Green Lantern fan, and that includes reading (waaay) back issues. So when I saw the cover of Black Lantern Green Arrow #30 a week or three ago, I thought it looked really familiar. I was right.

 

GL_v2_76_cover img001

 

This is so cool to me, in part because both images are aesthetically great on their own, and in part because the decision to make a tribute like that to an issue that old is nothing short of fantastic. I’m not entirely sure who to credit with that, but I’m leaning towards giving partial credit to Geoff Johns, since he is DC’s Chief Creative Officer, and has enough pull to make this happen.

 

Even if it wasn’t him, then whoever it was that made that decision has a whole lot of respect from me. The update is visually fantastic, as was the interior art on that issue. The story was pretty awesome, too. :)

 

I’m thinking that’s where I’m gonna cut this blog off. It feels good to just blog for the sake of blogging again though, rather than blogging to a schedule, or to a deadline and a set of topics.

0 comments:

Post a Comment