Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"Gay marriage becomes legal: 'This is a very proud moment'"

So says the headline of today's Seattle times, so say we all. Congratulations, Washington state lawmakers, on finally taking a step towards treating everyone equally.

I've said it for a long time, gays aren't some weird thing, they're people. The only thing that separates gay people from straight people is who they want to fuck (or fall in love with, but, you know... whatever. Let me tell it my way). Gay and lesbian people are not some abomination unto your deity of choice, they're human beings. I went to school with a few people who came out later in life, and seem to be no worse for the wear.

I'm happy to see that Washington lawmakers voted to make it legal, although if opponents of the bill can get enough signatures by June 6th, in which case the law would be put on hold until the November elections. To me, that's both good and bad. It's bad because I think it's possible -- 120,577 signatures in three months? Definitely possible -- but it's potentially good because it could lead to HUGE voter turnout in favor, because I'm of the hope that the majority of Washingtonians are rational enough and compassionate enough to vote yes.

If the law is upheld, I'd be happy to offer my services as an ordained (non-demoninational) minister to perform any wedding ceremonies, for any homosexual partners looking for someone who won't discriminate against them. We'll see how things go over the next few months!

So, with one less legal issue as of yesterday, may all of you out there continue to love whomever you want to, in whatever way you want to. And to those of you who are single, give me your number... Er, I mean, don't let being single get you down. It can be pretty fun.

Besides, I love all of you readers, anyway. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment